Superbowl parties are not known for healthy snack food, but lots of healthy foods, such as crudités and popcorn, make perfect Superbowl fare. This easy dip is a winner for both taste and nutrition. The base of the creamy dip is artichokes, which provide fiber, Vitamin C, folate, and magnesium. Low-fat cottage cheese replaces much of the mayonnaise used in traditional recipes. Serve with Whole-Wheat Pita Crisps (see recipe below) or whole-grain crackers. Snack healthfully while cheering on your favorite team!
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups baby or mature spinach, stems trimmed, washed and dried
- 1 (14-oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Coat a 4-cup baking dish with cooking spray. Alternatively use several smaller baking dishes, such as onion soup crocks, to hold 3 cups of dip total.
2. Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until softened and just starting to turn golden, 2 to 4 minutes. Add spinach (with just the water clinging to the leaves after washing) and garlic; cook, stirring until spinach has wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Place artichokes, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and black pepper in a food processor; process until smooth. Add spinach mixture and Parmesan; pulse just until blended. Scrape artichoke mixture into prepared baking dish. (The dip will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
Bake, uncovered, until heated though, 25 to 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining 1 tsp oil over top. Serve hot.
Yield: 12 (1/4-cup) servings.
Whole-Wheat Pita Crisps: Cut each of 4 (6 or 7-inch) whole-wheat pita breads into 6 triangles. Separate each triangle into 2 halves at the fold. Arrange, rough side up, on 2 large baking sheets that have rims. Spritz pitas lightly with olive oil cooking spray. Bake at 400ºF until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Makes 48 pita crisps.
Recipe by Patsy Jamieson of www.PatsysKitchen.com